This collection features some new melodies, old texts and remixes of classic hits. Jewish Gospel is the theme and these prayers and anthems will give you plenty to use for your choirs, Thanksgiving and Interfaith gatherings, church services and synagogue prayer whenever you wish to bridge the divide between faiths and cultures. Lisa is joined by gospel greats: Lori Williams, DeJuana Small and Tony Small as well as her duo partner Lynn Metrik who sadly, lost her battle with cancer. Featuring choirs and ensembles from the various communities Lisa has served she melds this collection together for easy access to all the tracks you’ll need for your multi-faith gatherings.
Here are the details of the songs:
Recorded and Mixed by Don Godwin,
Tonal Park Studios Takoma Park, MD
Mastered by Randy LeRoy
Tonal Park Studios, Takoma Park, MD
Liner notes for Jospel Jam
1) How Good It Is: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – A brand new tune based on Psalm 112: Amen, How good it is to be together: Hinei Ma Tov! Piano: Tony Small, Vocals, Lisa Levine and DeJuana Small.
2) God’s Joyful Music: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine & Lynn Metrik – A new mix of an old fave written by Lisa & Lynn on the LP “In The Light”. Featuring players from Des Moines Iowa and originally recorded and mixed at Great Plains Recording Company in Des Moines. The music is available on Lisa’s website and is included in the compilation “Jewish Songs of Protest and Hope” published by Transcontinental Music Publications.
3) Grant Peace: Music and Adapted lyrics by Lisa Levine – Recorded with Mattan Klein on flute and Seeds of Sun as part of the album Sowing Seeds which was recorded, mixed and mastered by Don Godwin at Tonal Park Studios in Takoma Park, MD. The choral version is published by Transcontinental Music Publications.
4) Bring Healing Down: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – Recorded and produced by Sam Glaser at Glaserworks in L.A. this track is part of the Bridge To Peace collection.
5) Peace, Salaam, Shalom: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – A rerecorded version of the Oseh Shalom track recorded and produced by Sam Glaser for Bridge To Peace, this is an updated version with a new Amen section perfect for that gospel choir feel.
6) Join Hands for Justice: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – A new mix of an old hit originally recorded by Lisa & Lynn as part of “In The Light” the new gospel chorus was created by a group of campers at the TAP camp in Maryland. Drum track was added by Don Godwin, who also engineered “Jospel Jam”. The song appears in the Songs for Social Justice anthology published by Transcontinental Music.
7) A Man Named Martin: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – A new recording of an anthem featuring the voices of Lisa Levine and DeJuana Small.
8) Shelter of Your Peace: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – This song has been recorded twice and this version comes from the original track from “Reaching For Peace”. It was produced by Jeff Order and recorded at Order Productions in Baltimore, MD. It features the members of the Temple Shalom choir. The octavo is published by Transcontinental Music Publications.
9) Wade In The Water: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – This is an adaptation of the MiChamocha prayer for worship and features English lyrics written by Lisa. It was recorded with Tony Small on piano, Lisa Levine and DeJuana Small on vocals and Don Godwin on drums.
10) Hallelu: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – This song has also been recorded a few times. This original is a classic from “Reaching For Peace” and titled Behold How Good was produced by Jeff Order and recorded at Order Productions in Baltimore, MD. It features members of the Temple Shalom adult and youth choirs. The octavo is published in four part arranged by David Shukiar by Transcontinental Music Publications and also appears in many compilations.
11) God Will See Us Through: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – This track was taken from a demo recorded a few years back for the songbook “Soulful Shabbat”. It was remixed and additional vocals added by Lisa Levine. It features Paul Binko on piano.
12) Reaching For Peace: Music and Lyrics by Lisa Levine – This track was taken from “Reaching For Peace” and remixed and a new ending was added which was created by Gregg Murai for Cantor Leigh Korn and presented at the URJ Biennial in 2017. It was originally produced by Jeff Order and recorded at Order Productions in Baltimore MD. It features members of the Temple Shalom adult and teen choirs. The music is published in the Biennial Songbook 2017 available at Transcontinental Music Publications.
All music licensed through ASCAP